Tuesday 8 September 2015

Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel – The Exhibition, Palais des Congrès, Montreal, 18th July









I wasn’t sure of what to expect with this exhibition but having experienced it I’d say it was executed very well. The ceiling paintings were reproduced photographically and in their original size so the viewer is able to explore the works up close; something which of course isn’t possible in the Sistine Chapel. I must say, it was pretty damn overwhelming for the first few paintings I studied, with so much colour and an extraordinary amount of detail to be seen it was hard to know how to begin. Thankfully an audio tour was there to help; by connecting to the free WiFi and scanning a QR code as you entered the exhibit, you’d have access to text, audio and video guides for each painting, for you to use at your leisure. I thought this was a great touch at making it interactive and saved having several people crowding around a single plaque on the wall. The layout was made to resemble that of the Sistine Chapel but more intimate, I would say, as the room was dimly lit and spotlights focused on the paintings themselves. It was quite awe inspiring really, I don’t know if I’ll get to visit the real thing one day but visiting this exhibition gave a fantastic insight into the history and all the symbolism that’s jam packed into his works.

No comments:

Post a Comment